Simple recipes for beginners

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Simple recipes for beginners

Postby Cath » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi girls just wondering if anyone has any simple recipes or ideas for someone learning to cook.

My DS wants to learn to cook dinner and is cooking dinner 2 nights a week (with some help from his mum :D ). Does anyone have any ideas for nice simple things for him to cook. He really doesn't have much cooking experience apart from basic baking/cakes etc. Tonight we had home made fish and chips which went down very well! He coated and cooked fresh fish and home made potato chips with lemon/herbs. :D YUM.

So please help me girls - any ideas?
Cath

Re: Simple recipes for beginners

Postby Cass » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

A few ideas:
* spaghetti bolognaise
* meat and vegetable stirfry
* pasta bake, such as http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17487/c ... pasta+bake
* pizzas
* chicken burgers
Hugs, Cass

You can read my ramblings at http://cassandraking.blogspot.com/
Cass

Postby miss~nance » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Tacos, burritos, fajitas etc
mince chow mein
chicken nuggets
grandmas crispy chicken - i know he loves this one, I'll email you the recipe.
miss~nance

Postby Chrissy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 am

Cath I really think the 4 Ingredients Cook Book is *perfect* for beginners, lots of simple-to-put-together type meals!! I've already decided that I'm going to use it with my young teens over the next few months...

HTH :D
Chrissy
Happy and content wife to Michael my darling hubby of 21 years
Proud and blessed mumma to our 3 September munchkins Nicholas 16, Emily 15 & Alexander 13! Three teens in the house! :)

Yep I BLOG too - http://www.chrissy3.blogspot.com
Chrissy

Postby jasmine » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 am

Chrissy beat me to it ;) I would suggest the 4 Ingredients books as well. Sounds like he's doing really well already - his fish & chips sound really nice. Easy things the kids usually help me with here are pizza, tacos, wraps... Pasta dishes are usually pretty easy. What about roast lamb or chicken - even though it takes a while to cook, when you think about it, it's fairly easy to prepare and is a great skill to have in his reportoire :)

Another great series of books with lots of easy/traditional type foods are The Common Sense Cookbooks 1&2. They were actually written by Home Ec. teachers so they have a lot of recipes that high school students do at school. I've had my copies for years. They're great as they have cooking guides for different cuts of meat, with weights, cooking time etc. plus lots of other helpful info for "new" cooks that we probably take for granted. They're a really good place to start as they explain all the basics like simple white sauce, custard, basic cake recipes, roasts, gravy etc etc. Once he has all the simple "essentials" down pat it makes it easier to experiment with trickier recipes.
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Postby miss~nance » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Emailed the recipe Cath.
miss~nance

Postby Ange » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 pm

There are some great kids orientated cook books out there.

We have a great one called "the Juniour Cook" - magazine/Women's Weekly style of cook book. Think though it is a family circle one.

It has lots of wonderful recipes. I use it all the time actually it is great. Covers a whole range of things and the kids love it too.
Ange xxxx

Mum to Olivia (02); Joel (05) and Lucas (07)

"With children the days are long, but the years are short" - unknown
Ange

Postby jakey » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:02 pm

I agree with Jasmine, my DH was given the Commonsense Cookery Book when he left home and I still use it occasionally for a good old fashioned favourite.

I would also recommend the Super Food Ideas magazine. It's the only magazine I buy. It's got great recipes in it, with simple ingredients, not stuff you'd only use a teaspoon of and then never use again. It's very cheap too, and has no yucky advertising in it. Since I've been buying it I've found heaps of recipes I make over and over again, both sweet stuff and mains.

Other ideas: meatloaf or rissoles. BBQ'd chops.

Hope this helps in some way,
Sarah :)
Sarah.
married with 4 boys :)

*Rejoice in the Lord always*
jakey

Postby Marion » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm

I also would recomend Super Foods magazine or one of the other relatively cheap ones, like recipes +. They have down to earth recipes, common ingredients, and give whole meal suggestions. I have discovered quite a few of our favourite recipes through these sorts of mags. Not that I don't adapt the recipes to suit ourselves though but the general base recipes are great.
Marion
30And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:30-31
Marion

Return to Recipe Shares