Successful Toffee Recipe??

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Successful Toffee Recipe??

Postby Gayle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:41 pm

We made toffee today and they didn't set. Does anyone have a recipe that works?
**Gayle**
Scrapbooking Blog - http://gayles-scrapbooking.blogspot.com
Gayle

Re: Successful Toffee Recipe??

Postby Argyle69 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi Gayle,

I made toffee to put on top of the profitteroles I made a couple of weeks back and it was simple and it set fine.

2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water

Mix together in a large saucepan until dissolved then let boil over a high heat until the toffee colour turns golden, remove from heat and pour into individual patty papers, dunk in tops of profitteroles or add a couple of drops of red food colouring, stir well until colour is consistent and use to make toffee apples.

Hope this helps,

Anita
Argyle69

Postby ScrapHappy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 pm

What recipe did you use Gayle?

This is my Grandma's recipe, I've been using it since I was a kid and it hasnt failed me yet. Hope it helps!

1lb sugar (I think this is 450g approx?)
1/2 pint cold water (approx 230 ml?)
2 tablespoons vinegar

Combine sugar, water and vinegar and stir over a low heat until the sugar is throughly dissolved. Then boil rapidly until a small amount crackles when tested in cold water. Remove from hotplate and carefully pour into patty cases.

Some hints from me ...

Put a cup of cold water into the fridge before you start. When the time comes to drop a little of the toffee in to see if it is set, it will crackle quite loudly if it is set. If it doesnt crackle, you can still pull it out with a spoon and give it a little taste - the toffee will come to the 'stickjaw' stage before it crackles, so when it is stickjaw in your mouth, the finished product isnt far off. Put the cup back into the fridge between tests. Test as many times as you like to feel confident. Once it does crack, remove STRAIGHT AWAY as it can burn (and then taste burnt) very quickly after the crackle stage is reached.

ALways use a wooden spoon.

When you are going through the 'boil rapidly' stage, there will be masses of bubbles on the top of the mixture - that's normal, dont be tempted to stir the mix and try and remove the bubbles.

If you are going to put anything on top eg 100s and 1000s, do it straight away after pouring into the cases and before toffee cools so they will stick to the top.

It doesnt matter what type of vinegar you use, but I do find that white vinegar gives a lighter coloured result whereas brown vinegar gives a more golden colour.

Let us know how you go :)
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Postby Gayle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks Tracey...good to have all the tips as well to prevent stuff ups :)
**Gayle**
Scrapbooking Blog - http://gayles-scrapbooking.blogspot.com
Gayle

Return to Recipe Shares