Meat Loaf

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Meat Loaf

Postby Ally Nicoll » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Girls..

Im wondering if anyone has a good meat loaf recipe that they use? I have never made it or eaten it.. but am wanting to try it.. your help is truly appreciated!

Ally
xx
Blessed to have a wonderful hubby and 2 beautiful boys sent straight to me from God..
Ally Nicoll

Re: Meat Loaf

Postby Nat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:17 pm

I make a low-fat one from the 'Symply Too Good To Be True' cookbook. We LOVE it!!

It used bread and rice to 'bulk' it up a bit, so you only have to use 500g of mince...

Ingredients:
1/3 raw rice (it says to use brown, but I've always used white)
3 slices multigrain bread (or whatever you have really!)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup carrots grated
1/2 cup zuchini grated
1/2 cup capsicum diced
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 small onion, finely diced
500g lean mince
2 egg whites (I often use the whole eggs but not as low in fat)
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 sachet creamy mushroom soup mix
2 tsp chicken stock
pepper to taste
cooking spray

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 fan forced.
Cook rice as per cooking instructions on packet. Rinse and drain well, leave to side.
In a small bowl soak bread in milk, leave to one side.
Place vegetables into a large mixing bowl then add all remaining inredients into bowl including rice and bread. Mix well. Use your hands to acheive a good consistency.
Coat a large loaf tin with cooking spray, press mixture into tin and flatten top. Bake for 60 mins.

Yum!! We always eat ours with tomato sauce on top!
Married to Greg and blessed with 3 little monkey... er angels... Jaidyn (8.5), Elijah (3) and Lani (2).
Nat

Postby Ally Nicoll » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks lovely!
Blessed to have a wonderful hubby and 2 beautiful boys sent straight to me from God..
Ally Nicoll

Postby ScrapHappy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this Nat. I havent been able to get the kids interested in meat loaf but thought I'd give your recipe a try as it had been a while between attempts. Amazingly I got the thumbs up, and having it cold on sandwiches has been getting even bigger thumbs up! So thanks! :D

Incidentally, which Symply book is the recipe from? I have the first three books of hers but it wasnt in those - has she released some more then? :D
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Postby Chrissy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 pm

You know I think I've only ever made meatloaf *once* ... and that was before we had kids. Should really try it sometime. That recipe sounds good Natti. :)
Chrissy
Happy and content wife to Michael my darling hubby of 21 years
Proud and blessed mumma to our 3 September munchkins Nicholas 16, Emily 15 & Alexander 13! Three teens in the house! :)

Yep I BLOG too - http://www.chrissy3.blogspot.com
Chrissy

Postby Nat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:09 pm

It's one of our favourites, and the 'staples' of bread and rice help to bulk it up without extra meat costs and are carbs to fill you up too!! We often eat it only like that (with tomato suace!) without anything on the side...
Married to Greg and blessed with 3 little monkey... er angels... Jaidyn (8.5), Elijah (3) and Lani (2).
Nat

Postby jasmine » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Ooooo - this sounds yum. I'm adding it to the menu this fortnight :D I'm doing up my shopping list tonight... Just for something different, in one of Donna Hay's mags she did meatloaf in well greased & lined muffin tins so it's easy for kids to take cold for lunch etc.
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Postby Nat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Ooh Jas, that sounds like a great way to try it, I will have to give it a go! (and maybe make a double batch so there IS leftovers for lunches!)

Tracey, its from book #4. There are 5 all up :)
Nat

Postby Ange » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:30 pm

I've never had meatloaf so might have to give this a try.

Sounds like a yummy recipe Nat.

Really need to get back into organising a weekly menu - this is a good a place as any to start :)
Ange xxxx

Mum to Olivia (02); Joel (05) and Lucas (07)

"With children the days are long, but the years are short" - unknown
Ange

Return to Recipe Shares