Excess of fresh cream - any suggestions?

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Excess of fresh cream - any suggestions?

Postby ScrapHappy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:50 pm

I have about a litre of cream that has to be used today - can anyone make any suggestions of what I can use it for? :roll:
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Re: Excess of fresh cream - any suggestions?

Postby Sally » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Ohhh make those lemonade scones with it :D
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Sally
Site Admin

Postby Nat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 pm

potato bake for dinner?
Married to Greg and blessed with 3 little monkey... er angels... Jaidyn (8.5), Elijah (3) and Lani (2).
Nat

Postby ScrapHappy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:01 am

Hey yeh, potato bake! The kids will be happy!!!

Sal, I've heard about the lemonade scones but I dont have a recipe - can you post one if you have it please, or anyone else if you have one? I'd love to be able to do a good scone but it isnt something I've ever been too successful at :roll:
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Postby jasmine » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:13 am

I got this recipe for lemonade scones from 4 Ingredients. There are probably other ones around too. I've made these before and they are super easy!

Scones (makes 12)
4 cups SR flour
300ml cream
1 can lemonade

Sift flour into a bowl, make a well and pour in cream and lemonade. Mix to make a firm dough, roll out, cut with a scone cutter and bake in a hot oven until golden brown.

The recipe doesn't specify, but usually you want your oven around 210 degC and they take around 10-15 min to bake. You can tell when scones are cooked by tapping on them - when they are done they will have a hollow sound.
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Postby Nat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I made lemonade scones the other day and my recipe was 1 cup cream, 1 cup lemonade, 3 cups SR flour... but I think Jas' is better coz its using the whole can and whole tub of cream too.... LOVE lemonade scones... and you know the trick with scones is not to over-knead them!!
Married to Greg and blessed with 3 little monkey... er angels... Jaidyn (8.5), Elijah (3) and Lani (2).
Nat

Postby Sally » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 am

That's the recipie :D Basically either is fine as the ratios are the same :D

& Nat had it right on the ball, just mix the ingredients till they are just mixed, then just make a quick ball, and press it out till it's about 1 inch think. I just cut my scones square (like cutting a slice) rather than cut them out with a cutter. Put them together close on the baking tray as they will use each other to rise rather then spread out :)

And don't worry about it having to be a can of lemonade, just use a bottle and drink the leftovers ;)

Have fun!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Sally
Site Admin

Postby ScrapHappy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I did end up making lemonade scones - when you posted Jas about the 4 ingredients recipe, I remembered that I had made those ones before but all I remembered about them was that they were awful - most likely my technique than the recipe LOL :roll: :D So I googled a recipe and came across one on a website called Exlusively Food. The proportions of ingredients werent as straightforward, but what helped was that there were lots of posts after it where people had talked about their successes/failures and I realised I'd tried to make the mixture drier than it should have been and probably kneaded too much (a no no as you said Nat). I did end up adjusting the amount of flour because it really was way too wet, but I hardly kneaded the mix, just enough to flatten it out before cutting - and the scones were GREAT! I made a double batch so ended up with 24. I've wanted to make a decent scone for 45 years and finally did it! :D :D And of course I had to whip up some of the cream too to put on top of all the yummy jams we had - though personally the lemon butter from my local fresh produce market got my vote to go with the cream!

So thanks girls for getting me there! :D :D :D :D
ScrapHappy

Postby Sally » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Whoo Hoo!!!! :D :D

I see lots of scone eating in your future :lol:
Sally
Site Admin

Postby Cath » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm

You've inspired me to give it a go. I have always been scared of scones as my mother in law was the queen of scone making! Therefore I have reluctant to try. Hmmm I think first batch may be on the quiet so no-one knows if they don't turn out!
Cath

Return to Recipe Shares