Slow Cooker Recipes

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Slow Cooker Recipes

Postby Scrapper 25 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Girls,
I was telling DH a couple of weeks ago, how I wish I couple use my slow cooker more, but as it was over 30 years old, I felt a little reluctant to go out and leave it on all day. ( My mum had a cooker like mine and went out one day with it cooking dinner on to come home to find all the power out and a burn mark and hole in her laminex kitchen bench, ) so becasue of the age of mine have been very reluctant to use it when no one is home.

Yesterday, my wonderful DH came home with a brand new one for me, so now I am keen to try out some new recipes. I remember on the old forum we had a thread for Slow Cooker recipes and there were some really good recipes on it.

Since the winter months are here, I was wondering if any of you have some great tasty (easy to prepare) slow cooker recipes that you could share again. I'm keen to try some new recipes in it this week.
Karen
A glad heart makes a happy face. Prov. 15:13

Blogging here http://lathamsnews.blogspot.com/
and http://karenleighphotoaday.blogspot.com/
Scrapper 25

Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

Postby jasmine » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:07 am

I actually haven't used mine for a while either. I kind if gave up as with my 2 picky eaters, it usually ends up that I'm the only one who eats casseroles etc :roll:

One of my favourite recipes is from the book that came with my SC:
Moroccan Chicken
2kg chicken pieces (skin and fat removed)
1/3 cup plain flour
S & P
3tbs olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chicken stock
415g can apricot halves in natural juice

1. Wash chicken and pat dry. Lightly coat in flour seasoned with S & P
2. Heat oil in frypan and cook chicken in batches until browned - transfer to slow cooker.
3. Using same pan cook onions until slightly softened. Add garlic and spices and cook until fragrant. Add the stock and juice from apricots.
4. Pour onion mixture over the chicken and top with apricot halves.
5. Cover and cook on High 3-4 hours or Low 6-8 hours.

I also sometimes add some dried apricots for a bit of extra flavour - I just slice them in half. It's nice served with either mashed potato or cous cous. I also love it topped with some lightly toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds.
**************************************************************************************************************
An easy and tasty meal is to throw in whatever meat you like, with onions, garlic and can of tomatoes, some dried herbs/spices, tomato paste and let it cook all day. It is nicer if you slightly caramelise the onions and garlic in a frypan first - but not necessary if you are in a hurry. Then for the last half hour add some rinsed & drained canned chickpeas, canellini beans (or whatever beans you like). This works really well with lamb shanks, skinless chicken pieces, diced lamb or chuck steak - anything really. The flavours are easily changed by whatever herbs spices you add ie rosemary/oregano/parsely etc for "Italian style", tumeric/cumin/cinnamon etc for "middle eastern/Morrocan style".

I know taste.com.au now has a slow cooker recipe section. You might want to check out http://www.slowcookerrecipes.net.au as well.
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Postby miss~nance » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm

My favourite in the SC is lamb shanks.

4 lambs shanks
flour
1/2 red wine
2 cans chopped tomatoes
bouqet garni or herbs of choice
1 or 2 cans of beans (I love lots of beans so I use 2) - either used mixed beans or one red kidney and chick peas
cornflour if needed

Turn SC onto high and place wine, tomatoes and herbs in while browning lamb shanks. Dredge shanks lightly in flour and brown all over on med heat. Add to sauce with beans and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 8-10. At teh end of your cooking time if needed add a tablespoon of cornflour mixed with a little water to make a paste and stir through thoroughly - you will need to turn it onto high for the sauce to thiken. If you like you can add cooked vegies in the last hour.

You can either serve the shanks on the bone as I do or take the meat off the bones and stir through sauce.
miss~nance

Postby Sally » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:47 am

I'm going to try a beef recipie today from a freebie handout I got. Will let you know how it goes :D
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Sally
Site Admin

Postby ScrapHappy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Thought I'd share this recipe as I made it the other night and was really happy with how it turned out.

LAMB STEWED WITH TOMATOES AND GARLIC (from The Slow Cooker Recipe Book by Catherine Atkinson - I borrowed it from our local library)

1.2 kg stewing (braising) lamb (I used a smallish lamb leg which was cheap at the supermarket and just took off the meat and cubed it)
2tbsp plain flour seasoned with ground black pepper
4 tbsp oil
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used the minced garlic in a jar, two good teaspoons)
1 sprig fresh rosemary - strip the leaves for use and dispose of stalk
150ml (2/3 cup) dry white wine
150ml (2/3 cup) lamb or beef stock
1/2 tsp salt
400g can chopped tomatoes or 450g fresh toms, peeled and chopped
salt and ground black pepper

METHOD
1. Trim all fat and gristle from lamb and cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes. Toss in the seasoned flour to coat. Dispose of excess flour.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the lamb (in two batches if you need to) for 5 minutes, stirring until browned. Lift out the lamb and transfer to slow cooker pot.
3. Add garlic and onion to the frypan and cook for a few seconds before adding the rosemary, wine and stock. Bring almost to the boil, stirring to loosen any meat sediment from the pan. Pour over the lamb.
4. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the tomatoes. Cover the SC with the lid and switch to High or Auto. Cook for 1 hour.
5. Reduce the heat to low or leave on auto and cook for a further 6-8 hours, or until the lamb is tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.

If I was just cooking for me, I'd also add a can of kidney or cannelini beans to the pot with everything else - I'm like Gail, and love beans added to a crock recipe. Sadly not all the family agree :? :)

:D :D
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Postby Nat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:51 pm

One of our faves - and VERY easy to do is APRICOT CHICKEN.

500g chicken thigh or you could use drumsticks
french onion soup mix
can of apricot nectar
can of apricot halves, drained
1 onion, slice

Mix the soup in with the nectar, and then pop it all in the SC. Put it on for 6-8 hours on low or 4 on high.
Married to Greg and blessed with 3 little monkey... er angels... Jaidyn (8.5), Elijah (3) and Lani (2).
Nat

Return to Recipe Shares