Tomato Soup w/Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Tomato Soup w/Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs

Postby jasmine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am

I found this recipe on Taste.com.au a few weeks ago and have made it several times since :D

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1.25L (5 cups) chicken stock
500g thin chicken sausages
100g spaghetti, broken into 5cm lengths
Basil leaves, grated parmesan and crusty bread, to serve

Method
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes and 21/2 cups (625ml) of the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes while you make the meatballs.
For the chicken meatballs, place the remaining 2 1/2 cups (625ml) chicken stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Squeeze sausage meat from the casings and form into about 30 small (3cm) meatballs. Add the meatballs to the stock and simmer for 10 minutes until cooked through. Remove the meatballs to a plate with a slotted spoon, then return the stock to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, then drain, discarding the stock.
Use a stick blender to blend the soup until smooth (or blend in batches in a blender, then return to the pan). Add the cooked spaghetti and meatballs to the soup and warm through gently for 5 minutes over low heat.
Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with basil leaves and parmesan, then serve with bread.

**I made a couple of changes:

-I found Woolies "Roasted Garlic & Cheese Chicken sausages" work better than just ordinary chicken sausages. They taste better, and I found ordinary chicken snags go a bit tough.
-Last time I added about a couple of cups of cauliflower puree. It's a great way to "sneak" some extra veggies in and I also found that it reduced the acidity of the tomatoes a lot. So I'll be doing that again. I think I'll try adding carrot puree as well next time ;)
-You could easily make your own meatballs out of whatever mince you have on hand instead of using sausages.
-Use whatever pasta you have on hand - macheroni works really well.
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Re: Tomato Soup w/Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs

Postby KatieT » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:55 pm

this looks delish jas. adding to my menu plan for sure!
KatieT

Re: Tomato Soup w/Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs

Postby jasmine » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 am

It is really yummy Katie! It's really budget friendly too.

I making it tonight actually. Yesterday I steamed and pureed a heap of pumpkin and cauliflower to add to the soup. The kids will never know 8-) :lol:
Jas :) http://cookcleancreate.blogspot.com

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
jasmine

Return to Recipe Shares