Wanted: Recipe for bread

Hmmmmm yummy food. Share away :-)

Moderator: SoF HQ

Wanted: Recipe for bread

Postby jakey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Does anyone have a good recipe for bread? I like to make my own bread (not in bread maker) but would like to try some other recipes then what I use. i know I could google it but thought I'd see if anyone has a really nice recipe for plain bread??

Thanks! :)
Sarah.
married with 4 boys :)

*Rejoice in the Lord always*
jakey

Re: Wanted: Recipe for bread

Postby Ali » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Sarah
Woo hoo, another convert to homemade bread!!! I have a few stock-standard recipes I use, depending on how much I want to make at one time.
For 1 loaf at a time, I use the recipe that comes on the back of the Wallaby bread flour sack - the really important thing to remember is to use bread flour, NOT bread mix - bread mix has lots of additives, whereas the flour is just plain flour. The recipe -
500g flour
6g dried yeast
6g salt
6g bread improver
20ml oil
280-330ml water (how much water you use varies according to room temperature, if you add all the water and the dough's sticky, just add more flour).
I pop my mixing bowl on top of the scales (taring the weight to 0), add the dry ingredients, then the oil and water. I use a Kenwood Chef with a dough hook, so I just drop the hook in and set it to medium, it takes as few minutes to mix it all together.
Once the mixture is completely combined, let it rise to double (varies depending on temperature - if it's cool or I want the dough to rise faster, I turn the oven on to the lowest temp for about 10mins then turn it off, and pop the bow in the oven with a teatowel over the top.
How many times you let the dough rise and punch it down depends on how fine you want the crumb of the bread - the more times you let it rise and fall, the finer the crumb. Personally, I let it rise twice in the bowl, then after punching down the second time put the dough in the bread tin to rise again to double. I preheat the oven to 210C (fan-forced), and bake for 20 mins - that usually never fails, lol!!
If you don't have a mixer, and are kneading by hand, you mix all the ingredients together with a spoon, then turn out onto a floured surface and knewad for about 7-9 minutes. Basically, keep folding the outside of the dough into the middle and knead (it's hard to explain kneading!!!).
To make wholemeal loaves, you can substitute most of the flour for plain wholemeal flour, you need to have at least 100g of the plain white (that's how I do it, anyway).
A great blog with lots of good recipes is A Year In Bread, I've made the Farmhouse White bread and it's very yummy. You don't *have* to have tins, you can just make shaped loaves which are still good for sandwiches, but bread tins are great. I find the traditional shape used by bakeries works well, you can look for secondhand ones on eBay, or just Google 'bread tins' or 'loaf tins' and there are a few online retailers - cake loaf tins aren't big enough for sandwich loaves.
Hope this helos, I *love* making bread, and it is sooooooo easy!!! Let us know how you go :-)
Ali

Re: Wanted: Recipe for bread

Postby jakey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for all that great info and the recipe Ali. :D

I've been making my own bread for a while now, on and off, but I've been wanting to try a different recipe then what I've been using, so thanks! One of my boys in particular is a bread freak so it must be time to teach him how to make it!

I'll be checking out that website, thanks for the link.

I'll let you know how I go! :D
Sarah.
married with 4 boys :)

*Rejoice in the Lord always*
jakey

Return to Recipe Shares